Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Fabulous 40

a little wet out, wearing my modcloth.com dress that hubby picked out for me.
So I am 40 now. To be sure, 40 was much better than 30. When I was 30, I was still living with my parents, I hated my job and I had something akin to a nervous breakdown shortly before or after the big 3-0. Not a good time.

I had had it in my mind that I would just keep being 39. The closer December came the more I thought 40 is no big deal. I don't look 40. Some days I don't even feel 40. Young children have a way of making you feel both old & fatigued but they also help you blend right in with those young moms who have kids the same ages but who have been driving a full 10 years less! We are in the same season of life even if age wise I am more summer and they are more spring! Or however that works out.

I contemplated what to do. I wanted it to be memorable -40 should be. However, crashing a wedding where they were serving roast leg of lamb and playing Come on Eileen or that timeless song by House of Pain Jump Around didn't seem very realistic. I thought about going ice skating. We decided I better not start a new decade off with a broken tailbone or something like that. So we went to one of  my favorite spots - Ithan Creek Park. This is the park I use to go to after work, where I would pray for a husband and children. It is also the same place where my husband proposed and where we had wedding pictures taken. Each of my kids have been there with me -separately though. So it only seemed fitting that I should bring my family to the place where I often prayed for them.  It was a little wet but we enjoyed walking the trail and taking pictures. It was a fabulous way to kick off a new decade.

I am planning to look for other fabulous things to do over the year to mark this new decade. I don't know what they are yet but I have some ideas... I haven't completely ruled out ice skating for one...

No comments: