Tuesday, January 07, 2014

A First Lady Vacation

Or should I call the Title a "Tax-Payer Funded Vacation." So the First Lady gets to stay in Hawaii for an extra week. No children, no responsibilities and yes the Obamas will be paying the equivalent of the a First Class ticket for her to come home separately out of their own checkbook. However, the Americans taxpayers are on the hook for everything else, security, transportation of security personnel and all their accommodations. I could dwell on the fact that there are millions of people unemployed, people waiting for their paychecks or rent checks that are delayed because someone else doesn't have the money in the account to pay them. But what's the use really. Because the average mom is thinking more about the tundra that is the backyard.

Record lows and wind chills are keeping kids in, schools closed and moms hating Michelle because she is in Hawaii and the rest of us are listening to the whiny voice at our side say, "Can we go out and play in the snow?" "Sorry honey it is dangerously cold outside!" We are sweeping pizza crusts off the floor because the extra heat from the oven is actually keeping the house pretty warm. We are the ones suffering from cabin fever and dreaming of out own Tax-payer funded vacation. That raised the question for me what would I want to do if I had a week to myself. Now honestly, I don't know if I could survive a week away from babies. But if I could and of course if the taxpayers wouldn't mind footing the bill....

I would :

*Work on Walter's fairly bare baby book and Rose's vertually blank baby book
*Work on putting photos into photo albums
*Go through all the drawers, cabinets, and closets and purge out the clutter & junk that we aren't using and don't need.
* Watch Anne of Green Gable and Avonlea, Pride and Prejuidice whilst working on Rosie's Cathedral  Window quilt
*Work on Katie and Cora's quilts - due in late Feb/early March.
* Catch up on quickbooks
* Cook up meals and freeze them
*Spend some time on Pinterest without feeling guilty, mostly likely looking for homeschool crafts
*Take down the Christmas decorations
* Go to BBs discount grocery store
* I would blog till my brain hurt and my fingers where numb!
*Oh yes I would sleep in as long as I wanted!

If the taxpayers are very generous:

I will get a hair cut, go to the dentist, chiropractor/acupuncturist and go shopping without rushing so I can get the best deals.

I am not sure what it means that my list is mostly family centered. These are the things that irritate me that I can't get done because I have a family that keeps spilling stuff , wanting to eat or play or nurse or climbing on something and needing to be rescued. I am also not sure what it means that I can't come up with a list of extravagnat things. Ok let me think....

I would like to take my good friends out to dinner and pay for it all. Follow it up with dancing.
I wouldn't mind being someplace warm and sunny right now - someplace other than my single paned plastic covered kitchen window. But I am not the first lady, I don't want the taxpayers to cover my holidays, I will just continue to try and chip away at my list one naptime at a time. One TV show at a time.

So if my Christmas tree is still up in June don't give me any flack.

Now to put away the Christmas cookie tins - I have been trying to do that all week - I haven't been able to because some little person will climb up the chair with me!


No comments: