Sunday, December 16, 2012

The Wisdom of No TV

We haven't had a working TV in over 2 years now. Remember when President Bush sent out stimulus money to help jump start the economy? I did my part and bought a flat screen TV and it crapped out on us 2 months after the warranty was up. Typical.

My husband made several attempts to try and fix it by replacing different components but no luck. So the broken TV sits in our beautiful TV cabinet the one that could have killed us.

So why is it a wise to not have a TV? I know I would be watching it all the time, never having the restraint to turn it off. Whenever I am over my parents I watch it incessantly, like I am making up for lost time. I know though that I would do the same thing here if ours worked.

I also know how much healthier it is for me to not have a TV, because I was at my parent's this weekend and was glued to the TV watching news of the school shooting in Connecticut. I like everyone else was - am- sickened by it. Sickened because I am a mother. Sickened because for many years I worked in schools where the students become your little loves and you want only the best for them. I am brokenhearted.

It is so easy to get sucked into the sorrow when all you watch is sorrowful news. I know that because I am struggling to get images out of my mind of what happened or how it might have played out. The truth comes home to me once again the wisdom of not having a TV is I am unable to dwell on news to the point of obsession. One can still be moved to empathy and prayer without hearing things repeated over and over again. I know that is what is best for me. There is a wisdom in that knowledge that really makes me want to turn our TV cabinet into extra blanket or toy storage. Even after 2 years of no TV, having one would undo years of going without in a matter of hours.

No comments: