Friday, December 28, 2012

Countdown to Christmas

One of the nesting projects from this summer was getting this Christmas Tree quilt done. I love how it turned out. I love that it is done. I love that I have a place to hang it! To the right of the quilt you will see our Christmas Countdown chain. You will also see links strewn across my bedroom. (not pictured)

On each link, I wrote down one of God's "nicknames" - 25 of them- Hope, Rock, Savior, Wonderful Counselor etc. I attempted to explain why we call God each of those names to my son hoping something will stick. Then, it was my plan to read the scripture verse that goes with the name. I wrote it on there for easy looking up. Oh.... the best laid plans of men... It just seems to me that December barrelled out of control so fast I hardly heard enough Christmas songs. I didn't even get to listen to any Harry Connick Jr.  Why is it when the baby is in the belly the time creeps along but now that she is out I keep losing my hat time is flying by so fast? Needless to say "with time's winged chariot hurrying by", most days I forgot to get Walter to take a link off and more than most days I feel asleep before I could look up any corresponding scripture verse....

Also, each day we were trying to do something in preparation for Christmas. Buy a tree, make cookies, do a craft. I made a lengthy list of ideas. We did a little better on that than actually taking the links off.

The goal of it all was to help Walter understood that the reason for Christmas and giving gifts is to celebrate Jesus' birthday. Something must have stuck because on Christmas morning, he rushed to the nativity to see Jesus before he ever really noticed the gifts around the tree. Does a Momma's heart proud. Got a little misty.

We will try again next year with our countdown - maybe he will be better at reminding me then. I have no doubt though as with most Decembers it will fly by faster than we can imagine and I'll need to hold on to my hat again and hunt down my Harry Connick Jr CD sooner. I intend to do something with the links in my room... before I put them in the trash can. It just may be Valentine's Day before that happens!

No comments: