Friday, December 28, 2012

Lost their Lease

When I was pregnant with Walter, a quilt shop opened up near my husband's shop. This really was a dream come true for me. To be so close to such a shop was pure, colorful bliss.

I loved the little community of ladies (and a few men) who love color, fabrics, patterns and putting them all together into something amazing. I would lug my fat baby boy in his carseat and linger over the fabrics. Then, I would lug my ornery boy in a stroller with some goldfish and shop quicker! I imagined taking little Rose and letting her in on the art of combining fabric to make something fabulous while only having to drive 2 miles!

Alas, the email went out that the store lost their lease and so my quilt shop around the corner is closing up. I am so heartbroken. I have a lost my little escape. Escape into mingling with the people there and dreaming up new projects on my limited discretionary funds.

I felt a little guilty in light of the news of recent weeks, that I cried about this shop closing. I cried about the news too though. This one just touches me personally because I feel as though I am losing something really important to my creativity and sanity. There were days when, I just needed to get out of the house and look at pretty stuff and talk to someone who is taller than me and I would go to the quilt shop! I nearly burst into tears when I was there yesterday for their big sale.

One can only hope that gas prices will do down so I can go to quilt shops further away or I will make do with what I have in my material stash - though neither are likely.

Its been a good run quilt shop - I will miss you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh no! So sorry to hear it. Will you keep in touch with some of the folks?
- Brandy