Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Fully Committed

Walter and I have been scoping out a used furniture store for something to keep the TV in. Sunday, we found the perfect piece. It was custom made by a Lancaster County Amish furniture company and was every bit as nice as Ethan Allen! He measured and figured we could fit it.

Lightening the load, he took off the doors and lazy susan inside the cabinet, then, I had to decide if I could handle helping him carry it up the narrow steep stairs. First I started up the stairs going backwards with him in the rear but I just didn't have the strength to hoist it and walk backwards. We got up 2 steps and I said, "I can't do it." Knowing full well that I couldn't do it and if continued to try I would crush him and possible kill him. That was way too much pressure. So we switched, I pushed from the rear and he dragged it up step by step.

Never in my life have I do something so physically difficult. The weight and size of the cabinet was almost just too much. We had only gone a couple steps when I realized there is no going back I need to finish this and yet I didn't think I could. I said to myself, "I am just going to have to go find someone to help!" I knew that no matter what Walter wouldn't let go because he would crush or kill me if he did. The magnitude of that was overwhelming on so many levels. I also thought of soldiers at war when they are in the midst of a difficult battle, they can't say, "I am not going be able to swing this. I'll see if I can get someone else to fill in." No, they are fully committed, the only option is to keep going no matter what. They complete the task or die trying. So I called out to God to give me strength and I stretched out my arms and pushed. And finally after what seemed like hours we reached the landing. I was out of breath and shaking!

I had this strange desire to cry too. It was a good while before I settled down and even now my muscles ache! If I had known how difficult it was going to be I wouldn't have attempted it.

The cabinet looks really nice though!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for you! Hope your back didn't pay for it later