Thursday, June 02, 2016

The Junior Arborist

So my little boy did a really cool thing at the Winterthur Touch-a-Truck day this October. He said yes to the Junior Arborist "ride".  The arborists were dressing the kids in harnesses, hooking them up to a rope and hoisting them up the tree just like the arborists do when they needed to trim a tree.

So many time he frustrates me over the silly things he cries over (like today whilst typing this) or the simple things he doesn't want to try. But, I didn't see him bat an eye when we asked if he wanted to try this.

I thought he would be back out when it was time to step into the harness. He didn't.  He stepped into the harness, got hooked to the rope and up he went. He loved it.

There was this little piece of me that thinks this is the first in a line of many experiences that he will do on his own.  Things I have never done before, and there is a bitter sweetness in that, because he will have this rich exciting experience all on his own. I got to watch but I didn't go up the rope with him. I don't know what it felt like.

I do know it felt incredible to watch my timid boy do something daring and out of his element. I want him to be brave and take on a good challenge and feel the joy of accomplishment.

No comments: