Friday, January 14, 2011

Musical Memory Lane

So I am successfully doing one of the things on my goals list for 2011.

I am playing not one but sometimes two CDs a day. I randomly pick a couple CDs and the Baby and I listen to them throughout the day.

Most of the music is old school Christian music going back to the days when Audio Adrenaline and Out of the Grey were topping the Christian music charts.

Earlier this week it was Mitch McVicker who was in the car accident that killed Rich Mullins - gosh nearly 15 years ago. Can it be that long ago? I remember he died on my brother Louis' birthday and I was thinking of my brother and heard on the radio about the accident... Needless to say listening to music that is 15 years old and practically from another lifetime brings back memories of high school and college and the years following. Followed by googling all these old musicians to see what they are up to now. Because frankly the only group I keep up with is Third Day.

Anyhow, today, it was Eli and his "Things I prayed For" and its funny how I still remember the words to these songs! I can sing right along and my baby must think I am nuts!

Another oldie but goodie by Eli is "That's all the Lumber" in this video its sung by Ceili Rain. (It is a better video than any I could find by Eli.) I remember the words and the same little excited thrill still happens inside me when you get to the end of the song when the guy finally "get's it."

The old songs still have it. They renew and inspire ... thoughts from memory lane and also thoughts of the future as I teach my son to love the old music, learn the words and hope and pray he will live them too.

No comments: