Monday, January 03, 2011

Changes in Waiting

I saw an e-Harmony commercial today and I thought of the 2 couples I know who got married thanks to e-harmony. I wondered to myself, "Does it still work for people? I have been out of the online dating world for 4 years now. Can you believe it FOUR years!?" It hardly seems possible.

Here I am finally married and the mother of an almost 11 month old and I am still waiting.
I waited for years for it all to happen and now that I have my Walters there are just new things to wait for.

The baby and I went to the laundromat today and along the way I was looking at the houses with for sale signs and wondering what the property taxes are. You see now I am waiting for a house with a washer and dryer, a dishwasher, and a real bedroom for my fairly light sleeping baby. We are just waiting for the right time for us and researching the best places to look. I drive by houses and wonder are you the one? Reminiscent of dinners out with friends wondering whether the new guy might be the one... Now I wonder what will my house be like? Will it be brick or stone or icky 4 inch vinyl siding? Will it be new or old? Rancher? Laundry room on the main floor or the basement? How far will it be from my parents? Will there be a church nearby that we can agree on? Will I like the neighbors? Will there be neighbors?

It must be just a matter of the human condition that we struggle with always wanting more or different. Or maybe it is a woman thing... or maybe just a Lizzy thing. I shutter to think what I will be wanting after we finally do get a house. I am exhausted just thinking about it. Exhausted because of the patience I must exert to not get overly anxious waiting. (Something tells me the next thing will involve some kind of tropical trip.)

On many levels waiting for a house can't compare with waiting for a husband. All the hard work is already done! Having waited so long for him, is helping me to wait more patiently now. Unfortunately, I think my husband thinks I am not being nearly patient enough.

I think on laundromat day my patience is running much thinner. I indulged in a little home searching when I got home but decided blogging was a better use of my time with the baby napping so well. Laundry day gets me down because its such a stinking hassle - loading unloading, quarters, strange clientele... Then, I remind myself it could be worse. I could be washing in a dirty river or bringing water back in a pot balanced on my head to wash my things.

In life there is waiting, there is no way around it. Waiting for husbands, babies, nap time, a house, a day off, a vacation, a new idea the list goes on and its always changing.

No comments: