Saturday, January 27, 2007

Lost Joy

It is no surprise to me that I at most times lack passion and joy. I can give reasons why I lack these 2 friends of the soul. None of them should stand up against the gospel, but I try.

While dusting I opened a book I haven't cracked open in probably 1o years - The Collected Works of Emily Dickinson- given to me by my old best friend who no longer speaks to me. Maybe that's why I never wanted to open it; it reminded me of her. Anyhow...!
It opened and I saw the title: Lost Joy
I Had a daily bliss
I half indifferent viewed,
Till sudden I perceived it stir,-
It grew as I purused,
Till when, around a crag,
It wasted from my sight,
Enlarged beyond my utmost scope,
I learned its sweetness right.

Ok so maybe I haven't read the book much because I don't get poetry! I got the title though! I got it down real good. I am the story of lost joy or never found joy. And I really don't know how to get it but I have known its missing. They say, "knowing is half the battle" but how do you win the other half? But I am seeking joy, the kind that may falter but is never lost.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You might have lost some joy, but don't despair. As Marilla says to Anne, "To Despair is to turn your back on God." Don't despair! I can only say this because we are still struggling (and trying not to despair) over our current struggle with our terrible church situation. Hang in there and we will do the same.