Monday, January 15, 2007

The ALLURE of hope

Many times, I have read the book The Allure of Hope by Jan Meyers. Often I suggest it to others as a book that changed my life. Yet for some reason, I never quite thought about the title like I did today. I always emphasized the "Hope" part but didn't think too much of the word "Allure." I seemed to say it so quickly instead of letting it roll out of my mouth. Today I lingered and let it oxygenate me and "allure" spoke to me loudly.

I looked up what the word allure means: fascination; charm; appeal; to be attractive or tempting.

Why must hope allure us? because hope exhausts and maims and kills sometimes but it is like oxygen and you can't truly live without it.

And maybe that is the wonder of this wisdom-full book. When I am feeling more than a little hopeless I am always somehow pulled back -attracted- to this book. Tempted and charmed to find hope again. The lines I have underlined and starred act as an instant appeal to at least renew my energy to keep hope alive.

Great lines like this one (which I will be ruminating on in the days to come)
"When a woman's heart rests in the truth that the only thing left in the alleyway is to love others, then she lives from the allure of hope." (The alleyway is the place where your hopes are dashed.)

So hope allures to what could be and what will be. Life is teaching me the difference between "could" and "will." As painful as it sometimes is hope keeps alluring me back to believing the "coulds" can still happen.

1 comment:

Janel said...

I need to get my copy back. I lent it to the neighbor up the street last year. I need to see if she's done with it yet...

Good quote. I think you oculd benefit by it. :)