Saturday, August 24, 2013

Little Disciplinarian Pearls of Wisdom

I need wisdom. This is no ordinary boy and yet he is just like most boys. Stubborn and doesn't want to listen to his momma. I could beat my head against a wall or try and figure out what he really needs and what will work best on him.

Like a splash of cold water on a morning crusty face this pearl dropped in my lap.

The morning went something like this. Mind you I haven't even made it to the kitchen yet...
The boy pushes the baby girl in his sly way. Boy gets disciplined and while sitting on his bed crying in time out I say, "Get dressed and don't leave the room until you are." Getting him to dress himself is new he is kind of clumsy at it and he ultimately ends up with the trains on the back instead of the front.
But even getting the shirt on was such a battle. So I am mad and I haven't even started breakfast yet.

Enter the pearl. Don't pile on the ultimatums while serving out a sentence. Let him do his time and then once he is a "happy boy" again start making deals and giving the newest order.  I realized I do this a lot, pile on the tasks in the midst of tantrums and timeouts. It only adds fuel to the flames.

The Parable of the Man with 2 Sons also came to mind. (Matthew 21: 28-32) Dad told his son go out and work in the vineyard and he said "no" but later changed his mind and went and did it. He told his other son go work in the vineyard and he said, "yes" but then didn't do it. Jesus asks, who did what God wanted him to do?

The first one. It just took him awhile to see the necessity of obeying his father. I think my son is like this. Eventually he will do it, eventually he will pick up the blocks the question is how much breath will I waste asking and repeating myself until he finally gets that he has to do it. A piling on of commands and requests doesn't end up in a job well done... so I am finding this little pearl to be a beautiful thing.

No comments: