Monday, August 19, 2013

Keep Calm & Cope

I had to look up what all those "Keep Calm" pins and pictures were that you see all over the Internet. It's pretty interesting and not quite what I thought. You can read about it here. I don't feel like trying to reinvent the wheel because I still haven't done the breakfast dishes and will have to start dinner shortly which I am sure will coincide perfectly with a sweet red head in search of momma milk jugs.

I will explain this, good old hubby who is usually never wrong was telling me that there were 2 types of people who in P.O.W. camps. Those who believe "tomorrow is the day" and those who cope with today and then also plan to cope with tomorrow. More often than not the ones who didn't survive were the ones who kept saying, "Tomorrow they will come for us." The ones who survived best learned to cope.

Yeah yeah,

The last few weeks I keep going to bed thinking maybe tomorrow will be better and here lately things are melting down before breakfast is started. We waste so much time battling for small things like making the bed, pulling down your own pants to use the toilet, don't sit on your sister that there isn't energy left for anything fun or even just necessary - like doing the dishes. So by 8:40am I am already thinking, "Maybe tomorrow will be better. Maybe tomorrow I will do a better job."

I told him that and he reminded me of the P.O.W. camps. My great-grandpop was a P.O.W. during WW1, I've heard a story about the time he ate a cat, I think he must have learned to cope. I mean - he ate a cat! So what's my cat? What do I need to swallow that might not be so great to do or think about?

Well, I yell, because of this my son - he yells. I want to see this cycle end before we teach the little one to yell. She can already climb so can you imagine a climbing yeller - this scares me! I have been trying to refrain but not doing a great job. One particularly rough day, posted a couple motivational reminders around the house "Keep Calm & Stop Yelling" "Do Justly, Love Mercy, Walk Humbly with God, Use restraint, speak kindly, COPE."

Let's see if that works for a coping mechanism. I hope.

No comments: