Friday, April 25, 2008

Violets for Jeanie

For the last several years, I have brought a little bundle of violets to my 2 dear old neighbors - Jeanie and Mrs. V. I guess I started doing this traditionally because Jeanie mentioned one day that when she was growing up there was a plot of land that was loaded with violets. However, I think the first time I did it, I did it just because I wanted to bring them flowers. So I have made it a little tradition.

This spring, as I have been busy with Walter and wedding preparations I haven't been back to my parents as much. But I would see the violets at my house and think of Jeanie and Mrs. V. Yesterday, I was outside at my dad's and I spied the violets and automatically started picking them -with Jeanie in mind.
I gathered them up and knocked on her door. She said with what looked like a little mist in her eyes that she had been to visit Mrs. V. (who is now quite senile) just that day and was talking with her about how every April Elizabeth brings us violets. She had said that she guessed they wouldn't get them this year. Jeanie isn't sure if Mrs. V. remembered me and Jeanie tried to explain to her that I was getting married this weekend. I had always hoped that Mrs. V would be there to dance at my wedding. Alas, she is not strong enough to attend. But somehow I know she will be there in spirit.


Sometimes we do things and they seem so small maybe even bordering on corny. Then, you find out just how much small things are appreciated by the people you do them for and it makes you glad that you took the time to do it year after year.

No comments: