Thursday, June 21, 2007

Steaming Toward the DuPonts

Walter drives steam cars for fun, he took me, his parents and my grandpop on a Steam Car Tour Wednesday. One of the stops was at one of the home of a DuPont... you know Teflon, black powder, "Safety First"...

What a thrill to be there and bring my Pop.



I come from a long line of DuPont employees. My great-grandfather Luigi Fabiani worked at the Repauno dynamite factory for 40some years, my grandpop was a supervisor at Jackson Lab -and prides himself on knowing the names and spelling of everyone who worked there. And my dad was a draftsman for 30some years at DuPont. For my whole life, I have been influenced by the importance of "Safety First," something my dad brought home as a lesson for his family to learn. So what an opportunity to meet one of the ancestors of a man whose chemistry advancements and business sense has financially supported the Fabianis for well over 50 years.

Our gracious hosts provided lunch on the lawn under a tent for the group of 60+ Steam Car Tour participants. Our lovely hosts coupled with the weather made this one of the most delightful days -at times I felt like I stuck in an extra long Eden Moment! Billowy clouds, refreshing breeze, warm sun but not too hot, stunning views and just this sense that I was in a special moment for so many reasons. The only thing that was missing was an organza dress and flower-donned hat, but even that was ok.

Mr. DuPont took Pop and I for a tour of his pipe organ, and he shared personal family stories. We had the opportunity to wander around this first floor, which revealed a couple who are classy and yet very down to earth and family orientated!


It was a wonder full day and I am glad I was able to spend this time with my Pop.






1 comment:

Brandy said...

Your Mr. Darcy (AKA Walt) sounds more wonderful all the time. What a lovely day with your Pop too! How neat that you appreciate the family history.

BTW, I wanted to tell you, after ten years of being infertile, my friend, Kelly is pregnant, without even trying.