Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Hope Abounds Even for the Over 30?

In Unprotected I read (on page 120-121) about Amanda who is 38 and now wants children. This is her reality...

"Even if she soon falls in love and marries, ... her chances of conceiving
each month have decreased by 75%, compared to when she was 30.
Of course, it could still happen, if she's lucky. But if she does conceive,
the possibility of miscarriage has tripled, the rate of still birth has doubled,
and the risk of genetic abnormality is six times as great. Her pregnancy is
more likely to be complicated by high blood pressure or diabetes and her
baby is more likely to be premature or low birth weight, conditions associated
with neurological impairment as well as sudden infant death."


If you are over 30 and want kids but are missing a husband, you probably know some of these statistics. If you are over 30 and want a career and still think you have time for kids after your career is established you may not know these statistics... welcome to the over 30 reality.

Ok so where is the abounding hope? God opens the womb and He closes the womb and we should trust His will for our life. Well yeah...

Still when I read about Amanda, I got nervous for myself. I certainly haven't chosen singleness. I mean I wanted to be married with kids by now, that's not been my lot in life so far. I am one headed for "high risk pregnancy." This of course made me think of some of my girlfriends who are in the same boat - some a little older some a littler younger than me.

And yes God is sovereign and we need to trust Him, but sometimes its really hard. And sometimes what God gives us doesn't make us happy.

But I am encouraged, because stirring within me is an urgency to double my efforts to pray and encourage hope. A couple months ago, I purchased 4 copies of The Allure of Hope (my favorite book) to give away. I feel that strongly about that book. I wanted my friends to be challenged and encouraged by it the way I was.

Recipient #1 called me the other day and was surprisingly impressed with the book.
Recipient #2 told me tonight "it is the best book I have ever read. It is drawing me to close to God. Every page has something..."
Recipient #3 is waiting for school to let out
Recipient #4 will be receiving her copy soon.

Recipient #4 has my heart aching for her because she is just so frustrated. She wants a good man and to have children and she is seeking God and praying, but still having to deal with the reality of age and seeing other people get what she wants.

So as I was out walking tonight, God laid it on my heart to fast for her. One of the other struggles of being over 30 is the few extra pounds you never had before. You may not be able to see it but I do. I can say "no" to cookies and cakes, but I don't. But I will, I'll do it for you #4 because I know and understand your pain and frustration. And I don't want to see you facing what "Amanda" is facing... anymore than I do!

So hope is abounding, the Allure of Hope is doing its works among many hearts, I am planning to say "no" to cookies, cakes, sweet breads and pancakes, God is at work in matching me & my girlfriends with men who will love, adore and walk the paths of righteousness with them and He does open the wombs... so apparently hope is abounding even for the over 30

No comments: