Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Passionate Celibacy on a Snowy Valentine's Day

For Valentine's Day-
"...here's wishing you, as Oscar Wilde says, a 'passionate celibacy!'" so said my friend the other day.

2 years ago I wrote a devotional that would be published for the winter quarter of 2007. The specific day I wrote for was today February 14, 2007 -Valentine's Day! In it I stated I thought it rather ironic that I got to do the Valentine's devotional, me a single woman who at the time of writing was suffering a rather fresh broken heart.

So for the last 2 years I have thought of all the people who would one day read today's devotional and be moved to pray for me -perhaps that I would get a Valentine for next year! I have been looking forward to this day, for some reason I have been depending on this powerful host of prayers and prayerers to bring about a breakthrough of some kind! And as I sat thinking about Valentine's Day 2007 I know I felt those prayers all day.

Valentine's Day was eclipsed by a SNOW DAY! So it didn't really feel like Valentine's Day much at all. There was no room for feeling sorry for myself or disappointed in any way because the day was so full of cozy loveliness and roommate camaraderie.

The day went like this:
The sound of sleet or freezing rain hitting against my window was a sure sign that I would be sleeping in... All 4 of us were home! By 9ish we started to make our way to the kitchen. What followed was homefries with sausage and eggs. Then, some connecting with the bosses to figure out if I could in fact stay home all day. The 4 of us cleared the driveway and came into chicken noodle soup and brownies. We watched "The Illusionist" - excellent movie I highly recommend it- I clapped at the end. I lite my first fire in the fireplace and all night we sat cozily by the fire beading, quilting, surfing the Internet, sipping Lambrusco to the tunes of Frank Sinatra and Michael Buble' which at times inspired a little cha-cha-cha hip action! Did I mention I spent the whole day in my pjs! At one point, we ran out of logs so I put on my boots to gather more. It felt strangely exhilarating, the chill of the night and the thrill of gathering wood as if I were
momentarily an Ingles or a frontierswoman...

I couldn't have asked for a more perfect day ... a snowy Valentine's Day with my roomies.
And I have had at the back of my mind this "passionate celibacy" that my friend jokingly wished for me... my response to him was "But if I must have celibacy... then it might as well be passionate!"

I'm pleased to say it was a passionate day... a Passionate Celibacy on a Snowy Valentine's Day... it is possible and it is simply lovely...

2 comments:

Janel said...

Sweet!! :) God is good.

The kids made Valentines for Pap and I took a 4 hour nap in the MORNING. I've been bushed.

I'm sooo glad to hear that God met you. Yes, a passionate celibacy indeed!

Hugs!

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a wonderful day! How cozy!

I decided to use that cat dish towel you got me so I could pray for you on Valentine's Day every time I did the dishes. Smart gift! It worked! I prayed!

I am still stuck at home because of the snow and ice. It was cozy at first, now cabin fever has set in. My car is covered in thick ice and we can't get it out! AHH!