Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Sweet Voices

It was dark. It was quiet. I crossed the bridge with lights all around; keeping pace with the cars in front. I was in my zone, focused on the lights.

Thoughts came of the multiple trips over this bridge each week to go meet up with friends. How many times did I load myself up and drive 45+ minutes to hang out and maybe just maybe meet someone special? Never happened that way.  But for a brief second, I was alone and I was headed to dinner and movie in King of Prussia. Unfazed by the distance or by how late I would be driving home.

Then, a small high-pitched voice called out, "Mommy?"  How did this happen? I was transported to the reality of my life. Her sweet voice a vacuum. A life I never thought possible 10 years ago, driving over this very bridge meeting up on the off chances...

Strange how even after 5 years into the parenting thing, it still surprises me. The fear of their non-existence was that strong.

In the midst of hum drum, their sweet faces fill me to the brim. They challenge me. They grow me. Their sweet voices are my reality. Their loud ones too.

1 comment:

Brandy said...

A beautifully written post! I love to hear your reflections and gratitude.