Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Read-A-Thon (January & February)

I always enjoyed doing the M.S. Read-A-Thon during my grammar school days. I liked reading in general. I still do, I just haven't been taking or making the time as I said in earlier posts. That's all changing I have read more books in the first 2 months of 2012 than I read in all over 2011. I actually feel smarter!

Here is the list and little highlight or endorsement of each of the books.

1.  Mother I got this one for Christmas from my mom. This is an old book that has been brought back to life. It was a lovely read. At times it was very convicting and at the same time inspiring. Convicting in the sense that Mother never wearied in doing good no matter what. She labored to provide meals for her family no matter how early or late or hot. (I am prone to not being so willing when my dear hubby comes home late and needs dinner.) Inspiring because Mother took turns praying at the bedside of one of her children each night and the children relished this time. (I am most nights so tired I just want to get my child in his crib so I can have a moments peace. Oftentimes I don't take the time to pray with him.) My take away from the book isn't even really the full scope of the book. It really is about a daughter that wants a career and to see the world but eventually comes back to the fact that there is no other role model or person she wants to be more like than her Mother.

2. The Money Saving Mom's Budget: Slash Your Spending, Pay Down Your Debt, Streamline Your Life, and Save Thousands a Year by Crystal Paine of moneysavingmom.com

I follow her blog everyday to get the news on deals, coupons and tips for saving money. A good book with lots of good tips although many of them can be found on her website. It is a good resource to have everything right at your finger tips.

I can't remember how I came across this one but I always wanted to read one of those non-Jane Austen written books pretending to be a sequel to a Jane Austen book. Enter....

3. Death Comes to Pemberley by P.D James
This book was a sequel that follows Lizzie & Darcy from Pride and Prejudice. It was a page turner, but I was also very snuggley under a blanket and not feeling the best. Both really good reasons to just keep reading! I liked the book until the author tried to tie another Jane Austen book. I just thought that was forced and weird. My first thought was I can understand the writers of ER wanting to bring back as many characters for their show finale. I love that kind of nostalgia but this not so much. If Jane had done it I would have loved that!

This next book was at the suggestion of one of my old high school classmate's. She posted how much she liked it on Facebook. So I checked it out of the library.

4. Little Princes: One Man's Promise to Bring Home the Lost Children of Nepal
By Conor Grennan
This is easily one of the best books I ever read. It was inspiring. It was a love story. It was action packed and suspenseful. I stayed up until 2:30am to finish -even though my son is an early riser!  The author left me thanking God that He inspires some people to do things beyond what they would ever ask or imagine. And they are able to transform hundreds of lives because they stepped out in faith. That is exactly what Conor Grennan did. I learned about a part of the world that I knew nothing of and feel like I smoothed out a little bit of a rough spot in my life long quest to become more well rounded.

You can find out more about his mission and organization to help the Lost Children of Nepal here.

I am sure I heard about this book when the movie about William Wilberforce came out in 2007. (That was the first movie I went to see by myself because I wanted to see it so bad and didn't want to wait for someone to go with!) So I was encouraged to read the book recently when I heard the author speak. He was spellbinding. It was like he was both stand up comedian and preacher wrapped up in one.
Seriously if you have 20 minutes of free time you will not regret it being spent listening to Eric Metaxas. He was utterly winsome and true to the gospel. Skip to minute 34 approximately of the National Prayer Breakfast. 
Anyway, I figured if he is that good a speaker he might just be that good a writer and I was correct. This book was top notch. I felt like I was sent back in time and could feel the darkness of the colonial period when slavery was not considered an abomination. I might even read his book on Dietrich Bonhoeffer because I don't know a thing about him except his name.

5 books in 2 months now that is progress toward becoming a better reader and a better writer not to mention well rounded-ness!

No comments: