Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Back Burner Dreams

One thing is for sure being a mom changes things. The chances of using the bathroom by yourself are greatly reduced as is getting to eat a whole banana. Things that were easy to put together on a moments notice - like a girls not out- take a couple weeks to plan.

Moms make sacrifices its just that simple. I am so glad that I had the opportunity to travel and do things before having a baby, it definitely helped get some of the wanderlust out. As moms, I think that the dreams we had for our lives sometimes have to be put on back burners or experienced more as a treat as opposed to a staple. I can't just pick up and travel wherever anymore. I can't stay up like a night owl writing because my son is an early riser and a morning person. I am ok with that. There will be time enough for traveling and staying up late when my children are older. In the meantime, I can travel through a book and write during nap-time - when I am not napping myself!

I have found that even when I had time to take something off the back burner by reading or writing I just surfed the internet instead - not really going very far either. Kind of sad isn't it?

I think I kind of owe it to my child to use my time wisely -so I can be the best kind of mom- and if I can work on the dreams that have always been with me then I should do it. I heard somewhere that to be a good writer you have to be a good reader and I realized I only read 3 books last year and that is pretty pathetic. Is it any wonder, Liz, that writing is more a chore than driving force?

So 3 things will be working on when I have time to take something off the back burner:
1. Reading as much interesting non-fiction as I can (I'll post more on what I have read so far and am looking  to read.)

2. Working on my grammar - because let's face I am not good at grammar. ( I have a brush up book you are suppose to complete in 24 hours - I think I have had the book for over 5 years!)

3. Taking a course with the hubby - “Constitution 101: The Meaning and History of the Constitution” is a 10-week online course presented by Hillsdale College.

These seem like important steps in reaching goals and realizing dreams while I am in this particular season of life. I just want to want to use my time well for myself and my family and also for God who gave me gifts and dreams that are meant to be fostered over a lifetime.

1 comment:

Jennifer Young said...

I am not much for non-fiction, but my book club read a good one recently: The Lost City of Z. It took me a bit to get into it, but I found it interesting. Also Jon Krakaur's books are good. Into Thin Air and Under the Banner of Heaven were good. Unbroken is supposed to be really good. Have you read it? I use goodreads.com to keep track of my books. My name is jenniferlyoung if you want to friend me there.