Friday, June 10, 2011

'Tis the Season for Savings Bonds

'Tis the Season for savings bonds otherwise know as graduation time.

I couldn't help but be a little disappointed when I opened up my graduation card and found a savings bond. 30 years to full maturity seemed like such an eternity to a 14 year old with a pimple in her ear. Oh, yes one of the memories I have of my 8th grade graduation party is the popping of my ear pimple.  But I digress...

So I have 4 savings bonds brewing and bursting forth into almost mature bloom. I can't recall speculating how I would use them if they ever matured without me forgetting where I put them. There was a time about 9-10 years ago I considered cashing them in to help pay my way to Italy. We decided to count every coin in the house instead.


When my baby received a couple savings bonds I really got to thinking, "What will he use these for? A down payment on a car, or an engagement ring, towards a trip to Italy or Sweden." Hopefully he won't have to use it to just pay some bill. I feel that a savings bond ought to go toward something special after all you have waited a long time to use it.

I am leaning toward cashing mine in before they reach full maturity because frankly I am afraid the U.S Government won't have any cash left or will decide to keep more of my earned interest. Seriously for a kid waiting to spend money that isn't quite there to spend yet is hard work! I deserve every penny -interest and all but I know I won't get it all.

So I decided a little while back then when I do cash them in. Something very adult. Something that will go with me through the decades - I hope. I will use the money to buy an appliance. So when I look at I can say to myself, "See what patience will get you!"  I can't tell you what I spent the cash gifts on 20 years ago, but I will remember what I bought with my U.S.Savings Bonds.

So I am leaning towards a freezer! With an extra going toward a china cabinet but we'll see.

Much like the Turkey Hill Ice Cream bucket we don't always know how something will be used when it goes forward with us into the decades but it kind of fun to watch and see...

3 comments:

Brandy said...

Oh my goodness! I am so glad you posted this. I forgot I still have an old saving bond. I totally agree about using it for something that will last for a long time.

Kathleen said...

Interesting timing for your post. Russ' grandmother gave us a matured one for our wedding - probably got it when Russ was born. We are going to use it towards a kitchen island that a local amish guy is making for us to match our existing cabinets. It will be nice to have a physical reminder of her love of family in our kitchen, because I'm sure her kitchen was a place she spent most of her time.

bettyoverstreet@hotmail.com said...

Hi Liz, so glad I found you after a number of years. Thanks so much for being so kind and publishing my writings a few years back.