Tuesday, June 07, 2011

The Ice Cream Bucket

It is kind of interesting to me how objects can take on a new life of their own as they age.

Take for instance this Turkey Hill ice cream bucket.
Turkey Hill put out these special buckets in the mid-90s. I kept it because it had quilts on it and I thought it might be "collectible" someday. It's a nice sized bucket because back then they sold buckets of ice cream and not these tiny itty bitty cartons. It's proof of the fact that food manufacturers keep downsizing the size of the bucket and up-sizing the price of the product. But I digress...

So for the last 15 years or so I have kept my pink sponge curlers in this bucket under my bed... that is until Baby got a hold of the bucket and the curlers. The curlers got a new home and the bucket was actually headed for the recycle bin. But the Baby liked it so much I decided to keep it and give it a new purpose in life.

The Baby likes to put it on his head. He puts stuff in it and takes them back out. Sometimes he tries to put it on his head with stuff in it! He carries it around. He chews on the lid. He takes the lid on and off. He bangs on it like a drum. He loves this bucket! What I find so fascinating is that once upon a time a teenage girl decided to save a simple ice cream tub to keep stuff in it, never thinking that someday her little boy would have so much fun playing with it!

1 comment:

Brandy said...

Reminds me of the Koosh ball I found from my teenage years. My girls loved playing with it.