Wednesday, May 30, 2007

World's Colliding

Tonight was social night for the Bible study girls -destination the Devon Horse Show.
While waiting for everyone to show up we watched the end of Seinfeld.

In this episode, George was freaking out because his "worlds" were colliding. His friend Elaine started hanging out with his girlfriend and George wanted to keep his friends separate from his girlfriend. George said, "World's are colliding! George is getting upset!"

I've never been to the Devon Horse Show. However, I have been to the 4-H fair. It didn't take too long to figure out that there is a pretty big difference. At a 4-H fair you'll find the usually farm animals, as well as plenty of kids and adults in jeans and boots or sneakers. You'll find people from average middle class families - real down to earth types. But at the Devon Horse, I noticed that worlds were colliding before my very eyes! Just like George I kept saying, "World's are colliding!" I can't say I was getting upset but I was overly visually stimulated! I wish had been able to take pictures... but here is a visual snapshot of worlds colliding it might make for an interesting tale... maybe a horse tale.

I'll start out there... with the horse's tale... The horse's tale was dragging on the ground! I never saw a tale so long before! He was the Crystal Gail of horses! The horse's rider wore a shirt with large sequins. They won. But honestly, all the horses were doing the same thing I don't know how they pick a winner.

Throughout the show/competition there was someone playing an organ, which reminded me of Larry Ferrari who none of you will remember or even know about but... it was a fond memory from childhood.

Then, there was green pants guy... He wore kelly green pants, a non-matching striped shirt and one of those scarf things that men who drink port and smoke pipes wear. He walked around like he drinks port and smokes pipes too.

There was yellow dress girl... Her dress was too short and her bosoms were hanging out. She was walking around with a good looking guy who was wearing seersucker shorts. I don't know a single guy who wears seersucker shorts. (Ok maybe I have seen my Grampop wear something in a seersucker.) Clearly though this guy fell into the preppy world of which apparently I am not a part of... was I ever?

Cowgirl... like you would imagine... jeans and dusty boots but not like the type of boots that look like she is trying to prove to the world that she is a cowgirl... but rather some dusty boots and a radiating sense that she just loves horses.

Satin Sheek woman... she was actually the first woman I noticed that indicated to me that worlds would be colliding. She was perfect elegance in olive green satin and black lace and chiffon and a fancy black hat. She probably had heels on though I didn't see for myself. No one with any sense would wear a getup like that with anything but black heels... and there she was hovering around a horse. You know a horse... big strapping beast ...

I must not forget... big old honking diamond ring woman... if I were a fearless thief with a knife... I could retire with that finger. Oh my gosh that's really gross I know. I can't help myself that's what I thought though when I saw it. I also wondered if it was really real...

Oh yeah... 80 year old woman in heels... nuf said.

I could go on about all the women in sundresses and pumps verses the women in shorts or capri's and sensible sneakers (like me ;-) or turquoise & cowgirl hats verses the bobbly pearls and feathery hats...

Men with bow ties or should I say men who would wear bow ties...

There were lots of dogs too. Oh and one lady was pushing her dog around in enclosed stroller just for dogs. So people really do that!

I have also wondered who are the people who buy the capris that I see in catalogs with dragonflies and palm trees embroidered all over them... I found out who they are tonight!

Get this, at the concession stand you could get hummus and pita -now where have you ever seen that? I won't complain it seemed like a good idea... but you can tell that a hotdog and funnel cake isn't going to be sufficient for some of their clientele...

You know I've heard about some of these types of people existing, yet I have only heard about or seen them on TV. I've rarely if ever seen them in my world! And there I was seeing them all collide together Old Money and new money... and no money. Horse lovers and prestige lovers. Sensible sneakers and slip on pumps. General admission and boxed seats! People who just like horses or funnel cake and people who actually know what they are watching!

This was all in just 2 hours. I wonder what it feels like to be the cowgirl surrounded by elegant hat-topped women in heels at every horse show... ?

This is why subcultures are so interesting to me... people gathering together for a common goal or interest whether it be rocks and minerals or Star Trek. In tonight's case its horses... and I was just amazed at the type of people that horses bring together. Or should I say horses bring many worlds into collision... Maybe someone more involved in this subculture could say how they all get along with each other. Maybe its all fine for them. As for me, I was exhausted from this evening of people watching and worlds colliding and I have retreated into the world I know. I think I will stick with going to the 4-H fair... its more my speed... more of my own people there.

But maybe it is a good thing that so many different people can be united or collided together ... because there are certainly a great many things that people of various backgrounds still need to come together on. There are important things and we don't want to end up freaking out like George saying, "World's are colliding! George is getting upset!" But Rather "World's are colliding! Isn't that wonderful!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the visual and many laughs. I would have loved to have experienced it for myself.