Friday, March 16, 2007

The Symbolism Behind Car Accidents

As a writer I look for symbolism in life. There is symbolism in car accidents that warrant some exploration or discussion.

In 2001, I was in accident but I saw him coming and all I could do was try and get out of the way. I went up a curb and he still hit me. Providentially, a tree was cut down 3 weeks earlier so I would have a clear place to drive my car rather than wrapping it around a tree AND getting hit by an uninsured driver with a suspended license!

Compare that to last month, where I didn't know what was happening until after it happened. There was no warning. There was no screaming at the deranged driver hoping that would change what was about to happen. There was no chance to try and get out of the way.

I think of where I was in 2001 and where I am in 2007. In 2001, I was dating someone who just wasn't the right one for me. I knew this and I ignored it as long as I could because sometimes its just easier to be with someone even if they aren't the right someone! But after the accident, I realized that I had to get off that road! I needed to make a drastic turn and I did that when I saw behavior in him that couldn't go unmentioned. Mentioning it brought out even worse behavior and so there was no turning back. I got off the road. I still got "hit" but it could have been worse.

On the day of the 2007 accident, something monumental happened earlier in the day. Some of you who will read this will know what I am talking about. For the rest of you, just know that when Jesus says you will know the truth and the truth will set you free he wasn't kidding. Compound this monumental event with the life of a single working woman who who has been in a rut for so long because of God's silence and who wrestles with God because he keeps her still single. I knew I needed something dramatic to happen; things couldn't go on like this. And there wasn't anything I could do -like break up with a boyfriend- to change things. I needed a jolt! I got just that. And I just can't go back to the way things were and had been. The jolt made sure of that it. Its like the truth came out and the jolt shut down the road I was on for good.

In 2001, I needed to get off the road and I did. In 2007, the jolt helped get me out of the rut I was in. When truth sets you free you just can't go back to living among lies again or lack of information. I think for me, the car accident jolted this deep into my soul. And I thank God for the jolt.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the way you think and the way you write reflects that and all that you have learned. Thank you because I learn too when I read what you write.

Terri Meeks said...

You know your projects stand out of the herd. There is something special about them. It seems to me all of them are really brilliant! aaa fire insurance