Friday, June 20, 2014

Dethroning a Queen

I come from a long line of beekeepers. I love the little gals. I just don't like them buzzing near my ears. So I am always reluctant to "go through the bees" when I am asked.

Recently, I said yes. Be Brave Be 40. You know?

I donned my suit.

I held the box with the new queen.

I tried to stay calm despite the buzz bys.

I survived. The old queen - not so much.

(Actually, the new queen was replaced too. She wasn't doing too much.)

Ironically, the same day I went with dad to replace the queen, there was a terrible accident nearby involving a tractor trailer full of beehives. It broke my heart because so many were lost.

 I appreciate these little workers. Delicate and so vital to our ecology and agriculture. They need to be protected and cared for and sometimes that requires the dethroning of a Queen and maybe a better truck driver...
 
 


No comments: