Sunday, January 27, 2013

Downton Abbey Dinners 1-3

I heard fighting over what to watch on TV is 2nd on a list of 10 things couples fight about.

I am happy to say: not so for us! The fact that we no longer have a working TV helps. Neither of can flip channels instead of going to bed. I no longer get sucked into The Mentalist, Law & Order or Criminal Minds. Though I do really miss the Mentalist I guess not enough to watch him on my own while Walter is at work.  We have our short list of shows that we enjoy together and are always on the look out for a new series. Only once did I just say no I can't stomach it: Reno 911. I just can't do it!

We love Netflix, Hulu and the fact that networks put full episodes on their websites. We love 30 Rock, How I Met Your Mother, Rules of Engagement, Foyle's War and Downton Abbey.

When Downton Abbey season 2 ended it seemed like a 1000 years before January 2013 would bring us season 3 but in the mean time we watch Mad Men seasons 1-4.

So here we are enjoying Downton Abbey on Monday nights instead of Sunday like the rest of the nation because we have to wait for the show to be posted online. In honor of Downton Abbey Night, I have been trying to put together a special dinner to give me a reason to pull out the china and just to bring a little civility to potty training, time outs, and motor grease.

Season Premier: Discounted ground lamb. Recipe inspired by an Easter dinner. Lamb cakes in a garlic, rosemary, and red wine reduction, baked potato, broccoli with a cherry tomato garnish. Very yummy.

Episode 2: I actually used the Crawley Family Chicken Breasts with Caper Cream Sauce Recipe with rice pilaf and brussel sprouts in lemon pepper . Hubby said, "Best sauce ever!" I did modify it.


Episode 2 Dessert:  Sour Cherry Almond Cake. Delectable.

Episode 3 went a little like this. We had all been sick. The laundry pile was swallowing me up so we went to my parents on Monday and did laundry for 2 days. Consequently, Downton Abbey night was moved to Tuesday. We had Arby's Classic Roast Beef sandwiches and curly fries. I thought about serving it on the china and taking a picture but we were so hungry and anxious to get the kids to bed and the show started, we just woofed them down.

Not sure what Episode 4's dinner will consist of. Do you think Mrs. Patimore served spaghetti and meatballs? Because I got a huge pot of that on the stove.

No comments: