Tuesday, October 02, 2012

The Death of the Nap

In many ways, I feel like I am mourning a very good friend. This dear friend brought peace and quiet into my home- if only for an hour or two each day. This dear friend helped me get things done like switch the laundry, make a phone call to some utility company and even helped me put my feet up and rest my eyes. Sometimes I even got a full fledged nap. This dear friend helped me do a blog post or check things out online or balance the checkbook.

We are talking about a really special friend. We are talking about naptime.

I should have known this friend wasn't doing well all summer, as I fought with a 2 year old lay down and rest. Then, one day I knew the war was over. I had to give in and admit defeat. I knew this day would come - someday. I had just hoped it wouldn't be for another year. I also hoped that it wouldn't happen the week I brought home a new baby.

The death of a nap is a life changing event. It is something you just won't ever get back. I wasn't prepared for how losing naptime would make me feel. I would be lying if I didn't admit that it is overwhelming to have a new baby and no napping 2 year old. The high energy and noise level of this particular 2 year old can be deafening.  I feel a little like I am caught in a whirlwind with the Tasmanian Devil - ALL DAY LONG.

Sure, bedtime comes earlier now. Even when he is fast asleep my work isn't done. I know I am not the only one dealing with this. Still, I can't help but say its all relative. I have lost a good friend, naptime, I loved you and I miss you. Hopefully, someday -soon- I will be able to find some time in the day to rest my frazzled nerves or my son will master the fine art of an inside voice. Until then utility customer service reps will have to hear me "shhh" and change diapers in between our conversation. 




1 comment:

Brandy said...

Oh dear Liz,
I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. I LOVE Nap Time. I can't even imagine a life without it. When my children outgrow it, they get a new friend called Quiet Time. Maybe you could introduce this new friend. I couldn't have survived the last nine years without Nap Time and Quiet Time. We still have Nap Time.
Again, sorry for your loss.
Your friend,
Brandy