Monday, July 16, 2012

It take a Village to Make a Quilt


There is nothing quite like the thrill of putting together fabrics for a new quilt. Selecting the perfect colors and patterns - it is a natural high for me- made all the better when the fabric I find is on sale or already in my stash.

I made this one for my mystery niece or nephew.... (The baby turned out to be a nephew!) It was a completely different direction from what I was originally going to do but when I saw the chosen crib bedding, all my plans changed. The bedding has bumblebees and remembered seeing fabric with honeybees. I decided this was quite appropriate since we come from a long line of beekeepers.

My great-grandfather was a beekeeper in Italy. When a swarm of honeybees became available at his new home in America he picked up the hobby again. Instructing my grandpop, who was just a young boy at the time, in the art of beekeeping. They in turn taught my dad. My dad continues the family tradition and has been getting help from my brother. So who know who will be the next trainee, I hope it will be one of the 3 grandchildren.

I chose this pattern because -well it looks like honeycomb and a flower too. I did need some council on how to attach it to the backing so I brought it to a quilting club one Saturday and got so many great ideas. The best idea was the green background. I was originally going to use white. They advised me against that, one reason being white and babies are not always a good mix. I was so pleased to find a green that worked so well and was on sale! My friend the quilt shop owner says, "sometimes it takes a village to make a quilt!  (or pick colors)" I have found this to be true time and again.

No comments: