Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Lost Teachable Moments

When I was teaching, I loved to take advantage of the teachable moment. You know those unplanned moments when you get a chance to explain something or learn something that you hadn't planned. I do endeavor to teach my son as we go about the day, even though it may be something over his head right now. I tell him anyway because you never know what will stick. Someday something might click quicker as he remembers momma saying something about x,y,z.

I really can't imagine people not wanting to be involved in a teachable moment when they have a chance to share their knowledge or passion about a hobby etc.

It does seem to happen a little too often to me. One recent missed teachable moment took place at Longwood Gardens when I had the chance to meet up with Brandy (Hi Brandy :-) It was a beautiful day and all the photographers were out. There was one woman who had an old fashioned camera - the kind you put your head under a drape and I think capture the photo on a glass panel. I don't know for sure because when I asked a question, as we were walking by not only did she not answer my question she said something really rude. Actually something rude directed to my little boy. I was utterly shocked. Shocked by the rudeness but also by someone not wanting to take advantage of the teachable moment to share about something they are passionate about. I can only assume she was passionate about it. I mean how many people do you see walking around with old fashioned cameras unless its something they enjoy.  Clearly sharing that enjoyment doesn't bring her joy though.  That is the only explanation I could come up with for her rudeness.

Brandy and I walked on looking at each other in utter disbelief at the rudeness and the missed opportunity to learn something new.

1 comment:

Brandy said...

Wish you could print out this blog post and mail it to her! She was rude. You'd think she'd someone was interested in what she was doing.