Sunday, April 15, 2012

Titantic Greetings

One of my favorite scenes from the iconic John Cameron movie "Titantic" is the last scene when Rose is finally reunited with Jack and she is welcomed "home" by all those vibrant characters who didn't survive the icy waters. All those men, women and children who didn't get to lead full lives like we see Rose did by the pictures she had displayed by her bed. She lived a full life for them -her heart went on.

You can watch it here:


Maybe its a romanticized version of stepping from the life we now know into the eternal life beyond us. I do like to  think that when people pass on they are greeted by all those that went before. I don't know if there is any theological validity to it but when my brother passed away 15 years ago it was comforting to me to think perhaps he was welcomed home by our great grandparents. When my grandpop passed away this summer I was comforted thinking of all the people who might be waiting to welcome him home - like my brother and grandpop's parents, and Rudy, "Wacko", Fred, and Uncle Don and the men he fought with in WWII and all the ones he has said goodbye to over the years.

On February 3rd and 4th, two of my grandpop's very good friends passed away. I couldn't help but think that these 2 veterans were greeted by my Pop as they answered the final call. Perhaps it was a Titanic greeting with a room full of friends, relatives and comrades. Comrades who are glad that they lived such full and good lives.

Then, of course instead of Jack being at the top of the staircase - its Jesus...

No comments: