Thursday, July 26, 2007

Mr. Hillman

...He was one of my favorite people, but I am not the only one who felt that way. This was evidenced today by the sheer number of people who came to say good-bye one last time and mourn as well as rejoice with his family.

Mr. Hillman in direct and indirect way impacted my life in tremendous ways. I might have done some pretty dumb things were it not for the Hillmans...

Every Tuesday night for at least 3 years I went to the Hillman's house for Bible Study, fellowship, and chili dip. Though the numbers of people ebbed and flowed over those years, I kept going because I loved the Hillmans. I was always greeted with a hug and kiss on the cheek by Mr. Hillman. He could tell the best stories about stuff that happened during the day. He had charisma and a welcoming spirit. He loved Jesus and everyone that knew him knew he loved Jesus, but it was never obnoxious or overbearing. It was real. It was genuine.

I watched for years as he poured out his heart into so many young people's lives -ice hockey players and young adults from the church. He gave his time and loved us. In loving us, you either were introduced to the love of Jesus or you learned to love Jesus more.

Its hard to think of him not being on earth anymore. Hard to think of him not beside Cathy. Hard to think of his 3 grandchildren not getting to know their Poppy like we all got to know him.
But when I think of him with Jesus and how utterly happy he is in heaven smiling that smile I loved, I can't help but be excited.

Because you know, I been to a lot of funerals for people who were really "good" people... but you don't know for sure where there heart was with Jesus. I know where his heart was -as did everyone else.

I saw so many people today that I haven't seen in years. People I cared deeply for or were deeply touched by. Years fall away as you embrace and cry together. While old friends were united to remember you, I think you, Mr. Hillman are up there running into all the people you haven't seen in years that went before. And someday will meet up again -maybe in even enjoy some chili-dip!

2 comments:

Brandy said...

Oh what a nice tribue to him. You should print that out and send it to his family.

Anonymous said...

oh my!

I'm soo sorry to hear that he passed on.

I'll be praying for his family and you. I know how much you loved him.