Friday, October 06, 2006

All Eyes on the Amish

I have always respected the Amish and the their way of life. But have wondered how a community that is often so closed to outsiders could every be a good witness for the gospel.

Yet, now all over the world all eyes are on the Amish. And they are certainly getting their chance to share the gospel to the world. As we Watch them live and forgive in the face of terrible tragedy just as Jesus would want them too.

It's amazing to me sometimes how I can miss the obvious. I have thought in the last few days: "Isn't great the world gets to learn about real forgiveness to see it lived out." I have been so focused on the "world" and yet at the same time the last few weeks I have been dealing with my own unforgiveness issues.

It just occurred to me like a ton of bricks, that I too can learn from the Amish what it means to forgive like the gospel teaches.

It is no concidence what goes on in the world. God uses it all to teach, encourage, rebuke whatever he needs to do in our lives. So I guess I need to learn to forgive like an Amish mother.

No comments: