Thursday, November 24, 2011

The Turkey Song

The Turkey Song
A Turkey sat on the barnyard fence,
And he sang this sad, sad, tune,
Thanksgiving Day is coming!
Gobble Gobble Gobble Gobble
And I know I'll Be Eaten Soon!

Gobble Gobble Gobble Gobble,
I don't like Thanksgiving Day
Gobble Gobble Gobble Gobble,
I would like to Run Away!

     For as long as I can remember, The Turkey Song has been as much a part of our family's Thanksgiving as the turkey or pumpkin pie. I always looked forward to Grandpop singing it. On Thanksgivings when he was not eating with us, singing the song without him just seemed kind stale even sacrilegious. This is our first Thanksgiving where no one will get to hear him sing it. Though if I know my Grandpop he will amuse a host of angels with his crooning. 

    This Thanksgiving I am thankful for so many years of listening to my Grandpop sing at the dinner table. I am also thankful that I got to record him singing this song for the last time so that my Walter will never be able to forget him. Thanks for the memories Pop. Gobble, gobble, gobble.
 

 

1 comment:

Brandy said...

You have preserved a wonderful memory for Walter in your video and words. How precious!