Thursday, January 17, 2008

From the Depths of My Nightstand

I cleaned out my nightstand drawer the other day. And found this old scribbling from 1999 - maybe 2000.

In the Center of All that Glory...
In the middle of chapel, I turned around and noticed one of my fellow teachers worshipping God. Her eyes were closed, her hand was lifted up and look of adoration and worship was on her face.
Now because it was "Spirit Week" at school, she was dressed in the school colors -blue and gold. She had blue Christmas balls in a wreath around her head. She had blue and gold tinsel for hair. And she had blue lipstick on! She definitely had school spirit!

My first thought at seeing her worship was, what she must look like to God. I had already had my laugh over her outfit earlier. But here she is serious though looking ridiculous in the presence of God. Is He laughing at her too? or did He get that out of system before she left the house? The thing that struck me is that even though she looked silly there was nothing silly about her worship. That was heartfelt and serious and you could see that on her blue lipped face.

I still take this image to heart -years later- no matter how ridiculous we look on the outside God only sees a heart that is truly worshipping.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good point! Thank you for sharing! How true!

Annette M. Irby said...

Hi Liz,

I just popped over to your blog from ChristianWomansPage and loved this post. :o) You have a way with words, Liz. Thanks for sharing this.

All the best,
Annette
www.annetteirby.blogspot.com