Monday, September 24, 2007

Old Bikes

On the way to church yesterday, Walter spotted bikes for sale on someone's front lawn. The sign read, "$5!" So we decided to stop on the way home. We came away with 3 bikes for $10 -some were free.

We spent the afternoon cleaning them up, replacing an inner tube and a set of brakes. Which incidentally I did mostly on my own.

I keep forgetting that Walter will make me work on these kinds of tasks with him not just watch. Like the time he said we would clean out my car inside and out. I brought a quilting project so I could work on that while he buffed my car. Instead he handed me 3 boxes and said, "Take everything out and put in these boxes: Put in the house box, put back in the car box and trash." Yeah so much for sitting by and watching!

So we got the bikes oiled and adjusted and you know they aren't bad for $5 or less! Just in the nick of time for me because I have been trying to get more exercise but nothing appeals to me. However, riding bike is a joy for me. I love the wind through my hair. It had been so long since I rode a bike. I forgot how it exhilarates me! And yesterday, really was a picture perfect day -weather wise- so as we were riding the bikes around I felt like I was really vacationing in Cape Cod or Prince Edward Island. I was reminded of the scene in Anne of Avonlea when Anne and Gilbert Blythe were riding bike together. Fortunately, Walter didn't end up in the lake like Gilbert did!

It was a good project for us that's for sure. I now have a bike at my house and Walter's so there is no excuse for me to not get some exercise at least until the snow starts falling or its just too unbearable cold.

1 comment:

Brandy said...

You know, as soon as you started your story my mind when to Anne and Gilbert on the bikes too! Ahh! Your "Gilbert" sounds like a wonderful guy! Really! I had to laugh about him putting you to work. That's cute!